Fortis hospital bills Rs 18 Lakh to the family of 7-year-old deceased dengue patient

It won’t be an exaggeration to say that for most people, hospitals are like temples and doctors are nothing less than demigods who have the magic to save people’s lives. However, nowadays, hospitals have become more akin to profit-driven corporates rather than centres meant to provide ethical medical treatment to the ill.

It seems to have become a common trend in leading private hospitals of India to rob of patient’s already-vulnerable-family on the pretext of expensive medicines, tests and treatments. What the family of 7-year-old Adya had to go through when she was admitted to Gurugram’s Fortis hospital bears a testimony to this statement.

Image source: Facebook

On 31 August, Adya was admitted to Fortis Memorial Research Institute in Gurgaon for treatment. She was suffering Dengue Shock Syndrome, which affects children under the age of 10 and is marked by bleeding, shock and abdominal pain.

After being on a constant ventilator support until September 14, an MRI analysis report, which could have been done much earlier suggested that most her brain was damaged. It is at this point the parents decided to take her home. They opted for LAMA (Leave Against Medical Advice). However, when this decision came, the hospital asked the parents to arrange for a private ambulance since she was leaving against medical advice. She died soon after.

But the manner in which the hospital robbed them off of their money, is completely monstrous. The family claims that along with expensive medicines, they were charged for as many as 660 syringes and 1600 gloves. Not only that, they charged Rs 200 for a sugar strip that is available for Rs 13 in the market.The family further said that they even made them pay for the hospital gown that their child was wearing. Moreover, they want on to claim that the hospital purposely avoided an MRI or CT scan so that they could keep her on the ventilator for longer.

Image source: Facebook

Jayant Singh, father of the deceased told Zee News: “When after seven days of treatment the child did not gain consciousness, they knew the brain has been affected. But they avoided an MRI or CT scan. I would ask them for it every day, but they would say the condition is not conducive. I had hope and complete support for them (doctors) for 15 days. In retrospect, however, it feels like they were deliberately avoiding it.”

The entire incident came to the forefront when Jayant’s friend, posted a series of tweets along with the screenshots of the bills.


This twitter thread soon went viral on the microblogging site and caught the attention of Union Health Minister, Jagat Prakash Nadda.

He went on to tweet:

Meanwhile, Fortis hospital claimed in its statement that all standard medical protocols were followed in treating the patient.

“We empathize with Baby Adya’s family in this difficult hour of sorrow and grief. Seven-year-old Baby Adya was brought in to Fortis Memorial Research Institute (Gurgaon), from another private hospital on the morning of 31st August 2017. She was admitted with Severe Dengue which progressed to Dengue shock syndrome and was managed on IV fluids and supportive treatment as there was a progressive fall in platelet count and hemoconcentration.

As her condition deteriorated, she had to be put on ventilatory support within 48 hours. The family was kept informed of the critical condition of the child and the poor prognosis in these situations. As a process, we counselled the family daily on the condition of the child. On 14th September 2017, family decided to take her away from the hospital against medical advice (LAMA – Leave Against Medical Advice) and she succumbed the same day. All standard medical protocols were followed in treating the patient and all clinical guidelines were adhered to,” it said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Two Indigo staffers suspended for misbehaving with a woman in Guwahati

Bus conductor receives bail in Ryan Murder Case, claims police brutality and forced confession